The final will be Wednesday, May 4, from 1 - 2:50 PM in Wright 8. You will again get a one-page (front and back) 8.5" x 11" "cheat sheet" of notes.

About 75% of the final will be over chapters 6, 7, and 8. The remaining 25% will be more comprehensive in nature. However, this comprehensive questions will not expect you to know the details of the other chapters, but instead focus on the "big picture."

Chapter 6. External memory

Magnetic disk- organizaton/format; characteristics; access time (seek time, rotational delay/latency)

RAID - levels and their relationship to error-correcting, I/O request rate, and data-transfer rate

Chapter 7. I/O

General idea of interrupts

I/O module operation and function

I/O instructions: memory-mapped I/O and isolated I/O

I/O techniques: programmed I/O, interrupt-driven I/O, and direct-memory access (DMA)

Chapter 8. OS Support

OS objectives and functions

Effects of multiprogramming on system utilization

Process control block (PCB) components

Scheduling of jobs: types of queues and their purpose

Scheduling techniques, priorities, and fairness

Memory management: swapping, fixed partition and variable partitioning

Paging: virtual memory, demand paging, page table and virtual to physical

address translation, time and memory efficiency considerations, TLB

(translation lookaside buffer)

Handling of large page tables: two-level page table, inverted page table

Page-replacement algorithms and their implementation (R-bits & history bits)

Frame-allocation algorithms: page-fault frequency algorithm

Segmentation: advantages and disadvantages

Segmentation and paging combined