Practicing with Predicate Logic
Due: Wednesday, October 17th, start of class
This assignment is a short paper/pencil assignment
- (20 points) Read through the following English sentences so that you understand the overall domain. Then, translate the sentences into first-order (predicate) logic using the appropriate quantifiers as necessary.
- S1 - Hamburgers are food.
- S5 - Sue eats everything that Bill eats.
- S6 - Jalapenos are spicy. [Please note that this does NOT say that jalapenos are spicy food]
- S8 - Sue will eat some spicy food but not all spicy food.
- S9 - Anything anyone eats and isn't killed by (if they are still alive) is food.
- S10 - Anyone eating food that is also spicy has a fiery temper.
Use modus ponens and the statements you wrote for problem #1 to infer that “John has a fiery temper“ Use the numbers from problems #1 to support your conclusions.