Quiz 2 Review and Duscussion
Programming Languages and Paradigms
Quiz 2 did not go as well as many of you had hoped. Rather than
move forward in our discussion of variable bindings and scope,
today we will:
- review one of the quiz problems,
- discuss programming strategy,
- put the quiz scores in context, and
- consider how we might improve going forward.
Solving a Problem
This is a map you can follow:
- develop structure of code based data structure of input
- choose return values based on data type of output
- define values for base cases
- solve parts of compound cases
- decompose the argument based on the datatype
- solve subexpressions with recursive calls
- define values for compound cases by assembling answers
for the parts
- combine answers based on the return type
This is a rough map, not a fixed set of guaranteed steps.
(This is the same as from last time.)
Eugene Wallingford .....
March 21, 2023