Textbook List -- Fall 2018
Computing Skills and Concepts
- Fluency with Information Technology,
6th edition, by Lawrence Snyder. Pearson.
Programming Environments for Elementary Education
- Starting Out with C++: From Control Structures through
Objects, 9th edition, Brief Version, by Tony Gaddis.
- You do not need to buy the MyProgrammingLab access.
- The Essentials of Computer Organization and Architecture,
5th edition, by Linda Null and Julia Lobur.
Jones and Bartlett Learning, 2019.
- SECTION 2 ONLY -- A course packet available at
CopyWorks in Cedar Falls
Introduction to Computing
- An online textbook from zyBooks. Registration and purchase
information will be emailed to students approximately one
week before classes start.
- Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures
Using Python, 2nd edition, by Bradley N. Miller and
David L. Ranum. Franklin, Beedle & Associates.
ISBN: 978-1-59028-257-1. There is
a free version of the book
- A course packet available at
CopyWorks in Cedar Falls.
- Mathematical Structures for Computer Science,
7th edition, by Judith L. Gersting.
W.H.Freeman and Company, 2013.
- An Introduction to Parallel Programming,
1st edition, by Peter S. Pacheco.
Morgan Kaufmann, 2011.
ISBN (regular book): 978-0-12-374260-5.
ISBN (ebook): 978-0-08-092144-0.
CUDA by Example: An Introduction to General-Purpose
1st edition, by Jason Sanders and Edward Kandrot,
Addison-Wesley Professional, 2011.
- A course packet that will be available by mid-August at
CopyWorks in Cedar Falls.
-- both sections
User Interface Design
- Designing for the Digital Age,
1st edition, by Kim Goodwin.
The Design of Everyday Things,
revised and expanded edition, by Donald Norman,
Basic Books, 2013.
- Database Systems, The Complete Book,
2nd edition, by Hector Garcia-Molina, Jeff Ullman,
and Jennifer Widom.
- Computer Networks: A Systems Approach,
5th edition, by Larry Peterson and Bruce Davie.
Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Introduction to the Design and Analysis of Algorithms,
3rd edition, by Anany Levitin.
- Artificial Intelligence in the 21st Century,
2nd edition, by Stephen Lucci and Danny Kopec.
Translation of Programming Languages
Real-Time Embedded Systems
(the old East Gym)
Cedar Falls, Iowa
ph. (319) 273-2618
fax (319) 273-7123
As a discipline, computer science is relatively young and
characterized by rapid technological advances. This dynamism is
reflected in the interests of Mark Fienup, associate
professor of computer science: Parallel computing, routing and
computer networks, and computer science education are all greatly
affected by the changing nature of computer science....